These are the basic rules of the forum. Nothing that one wouldn't expect but if we do not specified what they are, we can hardly expect everyone to 'know the rules'.
We would like to specify that we are not aware of anyone every having 'broken' the rules, but there is always likely to be a first time.
The other reason to specify the rules is the recent surprise decision (June 16 2015), of the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in Strasbourg that has ruled that a site (specifically the Estonian news site Delfi) may be held responsible for anonymous and allegedly defamatory comments from its readers. As the digital rights organisation Access notes, this goes against the European Union’s e-commerce directive, which "guarantees liability protection for intermediaries that implement notice-and-takedown mechanisms on third-party comments.". This article goes into more detail.
- When registering, a valid email address has to be used. Disposable email addresses are not permitted. If found, we reserve the right to remove the account in question.
- Keep all posts on-topic.
- Do not pretend to be/represent somebody else. Your account may be deleted if found to be in breach of this rule.
- Do not discuss illegal activities.
- To accept full responsibility for the post contents that you submit.
- To use this function only for lawful purposes.
- Not to post defamatory, abusive, offensive, racist, sexist, threatening, vulgar, obscene, hateful or otherwise inappropriate comments, or to make posts which will constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability.
- Not to post or make available any material which is protected by copyright, trade mark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner of the copyright, trade mark or any other proprietary right.
- To evaluate for yourself the accuracy of any opinion, advice or other content.
- Please check that your question has not been answered anywhere else on the site. Use the search feature.
- Post your comment/question to the most appropriate place. Any posts deemed to be in the wrong forum will be moved. Please do not cross-post the same question to multiple places.
- Please ensure you have read the parent article/post completely before posting a reply
- Use your own words. If you wish to use the words of somebody else, quote them, citing the source. Plagiarism is unethical and is illegal in many countries.
- Please Choose an appropriate subject line. Try to summarise the problem briefly in the subject, and elaborate in the message itself. Repeat the subject in the body if it will make things clearer. Do not use all caps and do not add false information just to get attention (e.g. ;read this or you will be arrested;). An example of a bad subject would be "HELP ME". A good subject might be, "Foo crashes when I do bar". Do not use a URL as a thread title.
- Include as much information as you can when seeking help. This may include logs and command line output. Nobody will be able to help you if you don't provide sufficient detail.
- Ask Questions The Smart Way. Read this by Eric Raymond.
- No useless posts. This includes: Thread bumping, useless one liners, Flamewars, Trolling and Spamming.
- Thank those who help you. Acknowledgment of a helpful suggestion not only placates those who helped you, it can also help others with a similar problem. All those who have been helped on this forum are invited to help other users by responding to their questions when they know the answer and /or to consider donating to the project.
- Do not link to any site that contains adult content, sexually oriented material or might otherwise be considered offensive. Any post containing an inappropriate link will be deleted and the poster will receive a warning.
- Do not propose/link to any site that contains warez/copyrighted software/materials that can be downloaded illegally.
- No affiliate links should be posted, anywhere on the forum.
- Should be setup in your Profile (user Control Panel) , and not manually added to your messages.
- May NOT contain any images.
- May not contain any pricing, sales, product etc. details.
- May contain a maximum of two smilies. Or one animated smiley.
- May include two clickable links. URL's or mailto: - No duplicate links
- May include two colours. Hyperlink colour is set by the forum and is not counted as a colour.
- Maximum font size cannot be larger than normal.
- May not contain links to other threads or posts for the purpose of self promotion
- Your signature is your signature. It is not for sale or rent.
- Any signature or avatar that is offensive or insulting to either us, our members, or our staff, are prohibited.
- We reserve the right to ask you to change and/or remove your signature or avatar at any time, for any reason.
At all times:
- Keep all commentary civil, and be courteous at all times. Constructive criticism is welcome, but insults directed towards other users or the site administrators will not be tolerated. Coarse/insulting language will not be tolerated.
- No commercial advertising is permitted.
- When recommending an extension or other product to help a user solve their issue, you must disclose any affiliations you may have with the company or group that authors that particular product. This includes, but is not limited to: any paid or non-paid relationships past or present, receiving any promotional products or services, or any other similar information.
- Any posts deemed to be self promotion, advertising, or spam can and will be removed. NO SPAM - NO ADVERTISING eg. Posting and making excessive, inappropriate and unnecessary references to your products and websites is self promotion.
- This is not the place to settle a commercial disagreement for custom development or to be a 'wall of shame'. Any posts deemed to be of this nature will be removed. Settle your disputes in private please.
- If you feel a post violates any of these rules, or you need to bring it to the attention of a moderator (move threads/close/split), please use the ‘report this post’ link to notify the moderators.
- This forum is centred on Macrotone Consulting software. It is not a place to promote ideological, religious, or political matters. All such discussions will be deleted/closed.
Failure to abide by these rules may result in an editing, negative moderation or deletion of your post. We reserve the right to ban abusers from the site. We reserve the right to change these rules at any time.