Generate Password dialog not shown in back-end

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1 by pete
Thank you for your work on the Password Control Plugin. I'm glad you put it out there and I'm finding it very usefull.

Using Joomla! 3.2.2 I found some issues though. In this Topic I'd like to address the Generate Password feature, one that I haven't found anywhere else freely availlable for the back-end.

For a start, the "Generate Password" dialog is not shown in the back-end when it is disabled for the front-end. Maybe some java code is not loaded when it is disabled for the front-end?

Also, for the front-end, the position of the generate button is between "Password" and "(optional)" and wrapped with <BR>s. Please put this on the right side of the input field and give it a class / id name so users can style it.

I also noticed the generator generates a password with only numbers if I only specify the verification to check if there is a number and disable all other checks.

Please also allow to have only 6 digit password. We don't want to make it too dificult for our users.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #2 by chrisc
Thank you for your report.

I can confirm the problem with the back end generator when it is disabled for the front end. Not had time to look at the reason yet.

The length of the password is set as a parameter but the minimum is defined of 8 chars, to change this you could change the setting in the xml file, until such time as I release a change. I must stress that short length password s are not as secure and the standard recommendation is to use much longer lengths.

When I get some time I will also look at modifying the CSS. Not too sure if this will be this week, due to other commitments.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #3 by chrisc
Well I have taken a look at the code but here is a quick update:

Re: "Generate Password" dialog is not shown in the back-end when it is disabled for the front-end.

This is indeed some code that is not added and looks like an easy fix (removing an if statement), but I need to carry out some more tests to be 100% sure.

Re: the generator generates a password with only numbers if I only specify the verification to check if there is a number and disable all other checks.

This is not so much a bug as more perhaps us trying to be too code efficient, and possibly causing a misunderstanding. Rather than introduce more parameters we chose to use the 'password check' settings to also control the password generator. So for example if we chose not to check for lower case letters we didn't generate any in the password. This arguably may/is wrong since we may want to have lower case letters in our generated password but not just check for them. One could create a separate parameter for this situation (and for all the other possibilities. i.e. upper case, special chars etc.) , which perhaps is what may be decided upon. Currently thinking out the best way forward on this, add more parameters or just change the descriptions of how it works?

Re: the position of the generate button

Have changed the br codes for divs and added a class btn-pwdgen to enable styling of the button. Applies to both Front end and back end. I am wondering about the button positioning on the RHS of the input field as I recall having a lot of problems getting it displayed in a suitable position when it was first added. Ongoing.

Re: 6 digit password

Have modified the configuration parameters to permit 6 chars as an option. The default remains as it is, since 6 is considered too few characters and hence too easy to crack.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control
The following user(s) said Thank You: pete

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #4 by pete
Thank you so much for following up and making changes accordingly.

Regarding the password generator:
Yes please provide an additional set of fields to choose which character types are used by the generator, independant of the test. The password generator should still comply with the test though. So if the test checks for a special character, the generator should also generate a character. But it should be possible to generate a special character even though this is not tested. (Now I think of it, I see the complexity of this and why you choose this way. Maybe instead, just use all characters in your generator, as long as a generated password complies with the test.)

Please send a zip file for me to test for you if you want. I'm using Joomla! 3.2.2 though.

8 years 5 months ago #5 by chrisc
I had thought of using all possibly generated criteria, but I think I will have to go with the additional component options. In the long run this may be a better approach, otherwise one is relying on the password tests to ensure site compliance. The combination of possibly required options is large and providing options for the generator at least enables the site admin to understand what is going on.

Having a few problems placing the generator button to the right of the input field. Main problem is that I am working with the default supplied Joomla form(s) rather than one I create myself. I spent a few hours on it already but its not currently 'playing ball'.

Hope to look at your other problem later today. When satisfied I will send you a zip file to test, which will probably/hopefully be tomorrow or the day after, depending upon what is discovered and the time available.

Regards

8 years 4 months ago #6 by chrisc
RC zip file sent yesterday. All changes incorporated except the placement of the generator button. Some minor changes subsequently made but functionality remain unaltered from that in the RC file. Documentation updates also made and are already live on the site.

Regards

The following user(s) said Thank You: pete

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries