Issue tracker general questions

8 years 10 months ago #1 by nunonog
Hello,

I've installed Issue tracker and have been trying to understand it for about a week now.

Is it possible to get some support, please?

I need a simple helpdesk component. In the past I used Hoduma and it was perfect.

I managed to create a menu item to list all the issues. When I open that menu, I see an example issue I created, but how do I edit it? How do I respond to the issue in the frontend?

Translation:
1-Tried "Language overrides" for both admin and site -> no go
2-Tried installing pt-PT from the Extensions menu -> no go
3->Tried uploading the files manually to languages folder - no go
3-> Tried hard-coding the en-GB language file in the component folder -> it worked, but here are more than 300 lines and the extension uses another language file in the adminstrator folder with over 1000.

Is the component purposely complicated or what am I doing wrong here??

Thank you so much for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #2 by geoffc
I presume that you have read the extensive documentation that covers the component. There is also a Customisation Guide and a Development guide. There is also a FAQ to answer most questions.

To answer you specific questions.
To edit an issue in the front end, one must either be the person who is the 'identifier' or be an issue administrator or a staff member. The latter two are permissions assigned in the back end people table to the people who will answer the issues.

If the above is true then an 'edit' icon will be shown to the top right (as with standard Joomla editing an article in the front end) when the issue is viewed. There would also be 'print' and 'mail' icons IF they are configured to be shown in the component options.

From the 'issue list' menu, one of the option is to 'show child links'. This will enable the specific issue in the list to be viewed (from clicking the link), and if permissions are correct edit the item. When edited and then saved, IF the issue identifier is configured to receive notifications (options exist to control which type of notifications are to be send.i.e. Create, update, close) then the system will automatically send a message in the background. Templates can be configured as required. Email can be configured to send to the identifier (raiser), assignee (the person working the issue), and/or the issue administrators.

There is more details in the user guide. with screen shots.

Unfortunately the pt-PT translation is very sparse. All translations are submitted by our users and the nearest one we have to pt-PT is br-PT (Brazilian Portuguese) which is 100% complete. I cannot comment upon how different the text might be to pt-PT but it would be a good place to start. One suggestion might be to download the br-PT files and rename then to use the pt-PT code in their names and see if they are close to your usage.

We host Issue Tracker translations on this site and these need to be downloaded and installed on your system, where they should be automatically used. The files contain all the specific Issue Tracker strings used in the component/modules/plugins etc. They also require the pr-PT Joomla files loaded of course.

I hope that has answered your immediate questions.

Regards
Geoff

8 years 10 months ago #3 by nunonog
Hello,

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I reviewd the documentation and again the configurations.
It all seems correct but I can't make it work no matter how many hours I'm around this.

Thank you so much and all the best!

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #4 by geoffc
The only other reason that I can think of as to why you cannot edit in the front end would be that the component settings for the Joomla ACL permissions is not set up correctly. In the component options under permissions, check the values set for 'registered' ( and public/guest users as well if you wish them to create issues etc) for the 'create', 'edit' and 'edit own' values. If these are set to 'Not Allowed' this would explain why they cannot edit.

I must admit I am curious (and puzzled) as to why the component doesn't seem to be working for you. To investigate further, I would need admin access to the back end, to check the settings, and a front end account to check out the problem. If you wish me to look into this further send me these details via email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.,

Update 29/05 19:00: Received email confirmation from the user thanking us for the assistance in solving the problems with the configuration of issue tracker.

From this we conclude that the settings of the Joomla ACL settings for the Issue Tracker component was the cause of the problem. We therefore have marked the issue as resolved.

Regards
Geoff

8 years 9 months ago #5 by orsteglasy
Hi,

I started to use Joomla this morning, and just quickly went thru the Issue Tracker documentation, so please forgive me if I ask something very basic:

I'd like to use Issue Tracker as a tool to collect very simple customer complains.
When entering an issue I just need a single sentence title, the type of the issue and a few lines of description.
Is there a way to remove (hide) all the other fields that I can see on the default "add new issue" form?

Thanks,
O.

8 years 9 months ago #6 by geoffc
The fields that are shown are very dependant upon who is opening the issue. Registered users who marked (in the people table) as 'staff' or 'issue administrators see a lot more fields than a general user who is opening an issue. An 'issue administrator' or staff member is expected to be able to raise issues on behalf of others, and also respond to any given issue. Normal 'registered' or 'guest' users would see a very limited set of fields. Usually the 'title' and a description, plus optionally a few additional fields in a 'details section'.

There are component options there are options to 'hide' some of the other fields, which will then take what ever default is specified in the component options.

See this page and options Figure 3.3 .

I assume that for a registered user seeing the screen you wish to hide the 'Identification Date', 'Project', 'Priority', Issue Type' and 'Notifications Field'. These fields can be hidden 'en masse' by opting to set the 'show detail section' to off. If you want to only hide some of these fields only the 'project' display is controllable via an option on the menu item (either on the individual menu. or the 'list' display depending upon how the form was reached), or via the component settings. The former take precedence over the latter.

Regards
Geoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: orsteglasy

Time to create page: 0.342 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries