Email Subject Truncated to 32 Characters

9 years 1 month ago #1 by mronayne
Suggestion for a minor fix to allow for longer email subjects.

When I attempted to customize the generated email messages in Issue Tracker I discovered that the email subject was getting truncated to 32 characters. The DB field "subject" the in _it_emails tables was defined as varchar(32).
I changed it to varchar(64) and this seems to work on. No unintended side-effects that I've seen yet...

Regards,
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #2 by geoffc
There shouldn't be any side effects caused by your change, or at least I can't think of any. The 32 char limit was mainly an arbitary decision based upon a) most email header title tend to be short. b) If SMS is considered then we hit limits on sizes of text messages sent.

Neither are show stoppers.

Update: You are probably going to be limited to showing 60 characters since that is the limit specified in the form template. If you need the extra 4 chars then you need to edit the admin/model/forms/email.xml file and change line 22 so that it reads 64 and not 60. There is no maximum size specified in the form.

Regards
Geoff

9 years 1 month ago #3 by geoffc
Have decided after consideration that this will be implemented in 1.6.7. Have checked the RFC which has a recommendation for a maximum mail subject line of 78 chars. We are within this limit so do not consider it will be a problem. Of course some email systems may enforce a lower limit.

It would of course be up to the system itself to ensure that the length is not exceeded especially when any consideration is made for substituted tag values being placed in the subject header line. If tags are not used it shouldn't pose any problem at all.

Regards
Geoff

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries