Form field heights

9 years 7 months ago #1 by brett.zamora
Hi...

I've followed the directions in the user guide for customizing the CSS and that's worked well for me. I'm noticing in the Create New Issue and View Issue/Edit Issue forms, etc, that the height of the text area input controls is very large. In looking at the source via the browser view source option, I see that the height is hard-coded. (See below) Is there a way to override this?

<textarea id="jform_issue_summary" name="jform[issue_summary]" cols="" rows="2" style="width:100%;height:500px;" class="wfEditor mce_editable source" wrap="off"></textarea>

500px for a field that is supposed to be a short summary seems excessive. I'd like to shorten the height of these controls to something that works better for me. Options?

Is there a reason the styles for these text area controls were hard coded?

Thanks,

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #2 by chrisc
Replied by chrisc on topic Form field heights
The settings for the style (height and width) and the class are actually inserted by the editor and are not something we add ourselves.

Attempts to 'refine' the size have been unsuccessful, and any value we have tried setting gets 'ignored' (or overridden).

We have found that in Joomla 3.x the control for the front end editor is a little 'bit 'lacking in control' particularly where one wants to use more than one edit panel upon a page. [Never seemed to have the problem in Joomla 2.5 though!.] We are still looking for a clean way of achieving different size editor panels for the different editor boxes.

There may be some specific editor setting one can use, but we have currently found that with more than one editor displayed any setting changes 'all' of the editor panels not just a specific one. i.e Changing the 'issue summary' editor size also changes the 'issue description' editor panel size etc. Just to complicate the problem, not all editors seem to work the same,so any change would be required for each editor, JCE. MCE,FCKeditor etc.

If you find a good clean solution we would welcome it.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control
The following user(s) said Thank You: brett.zamora

9 years 7 months ago #3 by brett.zamora
Replied by brett.zamora on topic Form field heights
Spent a day trying different things, including overrides, but came up empty. Looks like my best bet is to use the JCE editor. The feature for saving the interactive size adjustment will be the best I can hope for. It's a nice feature and as long as the browser is configured to support cookies, it works. Thanks for guidance on this. Next up is to spend some time actually working with the Issue Tracker and see how it feels.

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #4 by chrisc
Replied by chrisc on topic Form field heights
Likewise. I spent several hours looking at the situation (again). Seems that there is a min-height setting that is an 'inline style' added by the editor(s) which I can't seem to override. It should be possible, but I have yet to find the correct setting. Firebug isn't providing any assistance in resolving this one. Its not a 'bug' but I would like to pin it down.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control
The following user(s) said Thank You: brett.zamora

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries