Are older versions of Issue Tracker available?

9 years 7 months ago #1 by brett.zamora
Hi...

I'm currently using a shared hosting facility on Network Solutions. Their MySQL version is 5.0.91. I believe that in your current version 1.6.3 you are making use of database features/functions I do not have control over. For example, in my initial pass at installation, I received the error about an index exceeding 1000 chrs while trying to create the jos_it_people table. (Kind of an important table). I am not able to adjust the settings for the innodb_large_prefix to overcome this so I edited the installation script and reduced the size of the person_email from 100 to 75. This got me further along in the process. After cleaning up and re-running the Joomla Extension installation process, the latest error I received is:

1109 Unknown table 'GLOBAL_VARIABLES' in information_schema SQL=SELECT variable_value from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.GLOBAL_VARIABLES WHERE VARIABLE_NAME ='LOG_BIN'

I looked at the INFORMATION_SCHEMA database and sure enough, it does not have a table named GLOBAL_VARIABLES. I'm assuming this came after version 5.0.91.

Can I have access to a version of the IssueTracker that is compatible with an older version of the MySQL database? I just want to get through this install and see what the product looks like end-to-end. I think it will meet my needs, but the demo is not comprehensive enough.

Alternatively, is there something I can do to overcome the issue with the expectation of a GLOBAL_VARIABLES table being resident in the INFORMATION_SCHEMA database?

Thanks,

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #2 by chrisc
The GLOBAL_VARIABLES and SESSION_VARIABLES tables provide information about server status variables. Their contents correspond to the information produced by the SHOW GLOBAL VARIABLES and SHOW SESSION VARIABLES statements

The GLOBAL_VARIABLES and SESSION_VARIABLES tables were added in MySQL 5.1.12.

The VARIABLE_VALUE column for each of these tables is defined as VARCHAR(1024). Previously, this column had the data type LONGTEXT; this was changed in MySQL 5.1.19 to VARCHAR(20480) and in 5.1.31 to VARCHAR(1024) to make these tables consistent with the GLOBAL_STATUS and SESSION_STATUS tables, whose definitions were changed in those versions.

For variables with very long values that are not completely displayed, it should be possible to use SELECT as a workaround. For example:

SELECT @@GLOBAL.innodb_data_file_path;

According to the official lifecycle calendar at www.mysql.com/about/legal/lifecycle/#calendar, active support for MySQL 5.0 (including regular binary updates) ended on December 31st, 2009. Recent version of Issue Tracker have never to my knowledge been run on such an early version of the MySQL database, but theoretically with the obvious exception of missing MySQL database system objects there is no real reason why it shouldn't.

The specific query that you are experiencing problems with is trying to determine whether 'binary logging' is enabled upon the database. It might/should be possible to change the query to a select of GLOBAL.log_bin but I have not tried as we do not have any MySQL 5.0 databases available to test upon.

If you can be sure that 'binary logging' is not enabled in the database you could try just commenting out that section in the installation script. This specific check was added to resolve a problem on some installations where binary logging was in use, which directly impacts the ability to create database views and routines, so it may or may not be in use on your site. We yesterday removed release 1.5.2 from our site download area, which did not have this specific check so as a one off we will re-enable it for another week so that you may see if that gets you any further. Release 1.6.0 introduced 'custom fields', among other things, so these would not obviously be available in the earlier version.

Note that this release has never been tested against Joomla 3.3, or the later Joomla 2.5 releases so you may encounter some problems in this area especially If you are running against Joomla 3.3,

We do retain 'old' versions of the component but they are obviously not as 'feature' rich and will have resolved a few problems, so you may find some problems with these earlier releases which will prevent a 'true' assessment of its current capabilities.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control

9 years 7 months ago #3 by brett.zamora
Hi Chris...

Thanks for the feedback. I checked the MySql settings and saw that log bin was OFF so I commented out the block of code you referred too and the installation completed successfully. It does look like the account I'm using to connect to the database does not have sufficient privileges to create database triggers. I'm thinking this might just be a condition I can overcome by explicitly granting the privilege.Here is a copy of the post-installation text. I'll take a look and see what I can see in the module at this point.

Thanks,

Brett

Issue Tracker component. This component written for Joomla! 3.3/2.5 by Macrotone Consulting Ltd. is free.
If you find this extension useful on your site, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory and consider making a donation to fund future development and support.

Issue Tracker Component preparing to be updated from to 1.6.3

Issue Tracker plugin installed: plg_finder_issuetracker

Issue Tracker Plugin enabled: plg_finder_issuetracker

Issue Tracker plugin installed: System - Issue Tracker

Issue Tracker Plugin enabled: System - Issue Tracker

Issue Tracker plugin installed: Search - Issues

Issue Tracker Plugin enabled: Search - Issues

Issue Tracker module installed: mod_latest_issues

Converting Projects table to Nested format.

Templates added to Hathor override directory.

Insufficient database privileges to create database triggers. Skipping trigger creation. This means that the fall-back setting of default values at the database level will not happen. This should not impact normal operation of the component.

Database views created.

0 records populated in Progress table.

Progress field in Issues table cleared.

Issue Tracker Component being updated version: 1.6.3

Issue Tracker Component updated version: 1.6.3

IMPORTANT:
Remember to flush the system cache and carefully check the Projects table to ensure that the order of the projects is correct for your site.
Additionally check the settings in the component options to ensure that the default front end displayed fields are suitable for your site and save the options to ensure that they are applied.
If you experience problems with the drop down displays of the project list this can be resolved by editing each project and saving it, with or without changes, which resets the project linkages.

9 years 7 months ago #4 by chrisc
When a hosting provider sets up an account for a client they decide which 'database privileges' they are going to provide.
Some providers allow their clients to make use of database features such as the ability to create 'database views', database routines (procedures, functions etc.) and also 'database triggers', to name the most common.

Database views can be thought of as a 'window' upon one or more tables, and are commonly used to simplify access to data that may be contained in more than one table.

Database triggers are procedural code that is run either before or after an action has been performed upon (usually) a table.

Database routines are procedural code that runs when invoked, sometimes even from a trigger.

Issue Tracker can make use of these 'features' to improve performance, but only if they 'site' has the required database privileges. Upon installation and also in some cases whilst running, it checks whether the privileges exist and if true, will use the database rather than PHP code to perform certain actions. In the case of the database triggers, Issue Tracker uses these to maintain the data and time fields when records in the database tables are changed. These would capture any changes made not just within Joomla but also 'outside' the component. There is some inbuild PHP code that performs the same task but obviously would only capture changes made by Joomla. In some cases the lack of a database privilege means that a certain feature may not be available,such as the 'Advanced Auditing' which also captures details of what was changed, and when but details of the actual change itself.

The absence of the database privileges will not prevent the component from running and the message in the installation is just to inform you of the situation. Generally it is not possible for you as a 'user' to grant yourself database privileges, and it is something that the 'hosting provider' has to do.

Aside: There is also some specific code that will try and access the 'GLOBAL_VARIABLES' present in the Issue Tracker (admin) helper file, located in admin/components/com_issuetracker/helpers/issuetracker.php file. You may need to perform some coding changes in the file IF you encounter any problems running on such an old database version. They are basically the same checks that the installer was running so commenting them out may well resolve any problems.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control

9 years 7 months ago #5 by brett.zamora
Hi Chris... thanks for the reply. I did encounter the GLOBAL_VARIABLES issue in the admin area so I commented the lines in that module out too. Ran an update installation and now I have access to Issue Tracker. I was able to successfully load the test data and view various options so I think things are working. Thanks for your assistance with this.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries