Viewing Issues in Different Groups

9 years 8 months ago #1 by rhianna.morris
Hello! I've read through several forum posts and the documentation and this doesn't seem to be a feature, but I'll go ahead and ask directly.

Lets say that there are several larger companies using a program. Now, if the issue tracker is being used to track bugs in said program - would it be possible to only allow people from their own company to see issues brought up from other people in their company?

To clarify: Lets make a user group called "company #1." if someone from company #1 creates an issue, other users in that group can see that issue. But if someone from, lets say "Company #2" comes online, they wont see the issue brought up by the users in company #1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #2 by chrisc
This should be possible since there is full support for Joomla access groups (ACL) in the component. It is not something we specifically use ourselves and it would require more set up on your site. We are aware of at least one company that makes use of the component in this way, and have not had any problem reported using it in this way. We are not totally aware of the complexity they are using or how many access groups they use. We generally only learn of this when a problem is reported. :)

For example you would need to define a range of access groups and assign the users of each company to one specific access group. Then when an issue is created it needs to be associated with a specific access group. That way a user from company A in access group 'A' should only see issues which are part of access group A. Likewise projects also support access groups, so similar rules can be set up. [Both issues and projects have a separate 'permissions' tab to enable the setting of the ACL.]

Issue administrator and issue 'staff' who manage the issues are 'exempt' from the access group checks, so would be able to 'manage' issues for any 'company'.

We cannot guarantee it will work as you desire, but certainly the intend was that it would, and it was coded with that aim in mind.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control

9 years 8 months ago #3 by rhianna.morris
Thank you for the quick response! I'm a small bit confused on how to use ACL however. I've been fiddling around with it - but with little progress.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #4 by chrisc
I am not sure whether you are having problems with ACLs in general or just with Issue Tracker ACLs.

If the former then this link may help. Its Joomla 2.5 orientated but the principles remain the same.

If the latter, it was always intended to write something specific for Issue Tracker, but its never reached the top of the list yet. :)

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control

9 years 8 months ago #5 by rhianna.morris
Hmm, it looks like I'm just having problems figuring out the Issue Tracker ACL. The whole "when an issue is created it needs to be associated with a specific access group" seems to be what I'm lost on.

However I think I have come up with a different work around for what is needed. Thank you for the assistance!

9 years 8 months ago #6 by geoffc
Your post got me thinking upon this subject a little more, and I think that there is some scope for enhancing the front end to make the setting of the ACL access on issues a lot easier. The back end is already well equipped for this. I have raised an enhancement request to get it reviewed for the next release/update. Not sure yet when this will be as it depends upon a number of other factors.

Regards
Geoff

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries