partition categories in frontend?

8 years 9 months ago #1 by sam333
Hi,

I want to place multiple instances of the same category under various parent categories. But in the frontend there are all categories in a row.

You see it in the attachments I added.

Thank you
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #2 by chrisc
I am not quite sure that I understand. The image that you attached was of the back end categories, and I enclose a similar image that indicates the same with a number of different categories. In the front end these would be shown groups as in the second image.

The category order is determined by the order set in the back end (this is a nested table).

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control
Attachments:

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #3 by chrisc
It doesn't want to accept the second image for some reason, I will look into it. Size? That was it I had to shrink it a little.

Configuration for Kunena images is maximum of 150KB and size 800x800 pixels.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control
Attachments:

8 years 9 months ago #4 by sam333
Sorry for my unintelligible parlance. In the frontend the user should only see at first the parent categories. After depending the parent category the sub-categories should be displayed. That's all.

Thanks a lot

8 years 9 months ago #5 by chrisc
Just to clarify. Your suggestion is that the 'index or categories (first)' page should only display the 'top' level (1) categories. Then when the category link is clicked that the 'second level (2)' categories should be displayed, and so on. One question I have is what if there are actual entries in the top level categories? At present any entries in the selected category are displayed.

I could have the next sub category level displayed (or all sub categories?) AND any specific entries for the selected category (or sub category) displayed. Might make the display a little messy visually.

I could see a situation where IF there are no entries in that category, then only the next level own categories might be displayed. A shorter version of the above.

It is possible to have potentially up to ten different levels.

Taking a different tack, one alternative might be to 'inset' the sub level categories to indicate that they are indeed sub-categories. Alternatively I could provide the parent categories in the 'categories' title.

Your input is very welcome. I am not adverse to making enhancements/changes just wish to be clear as to what is being suggested and how it might look visually on the page.

Any change would be for the next release, currently looking like being 1.1.0. I currently only have one 'minor bug' and several enhancements for 1.1.0.

Regards

8 years 9 months ago #6 by chrisc
In the lack of any feedback in order to make the sub categories more obvious, I have added a new parameter for the menu item such that one can specify a character string to use to inset the category title in the 'index/categories' display for any category levels greater than the first. The default is no inset at all, which is the current behaviour.

So for example if one were to specify a character string such as '!- ' the category levels would display as follows:

Level1 category:
|- Level2 category:
|- |- Level3 category:

One can specify as many characters as required and also include codes such as '—' if one desires other characters.

This will be available in the next release.

Regards

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisker

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries