Setting Unique Change Date required!

8 years 4 months ago #7 by pete
So I had a look at the database to see the field you are talking about, and indeed, this seems to be a problem. It is not reset to 0 after changing the password. I tried to clear the table. After this all users were able to log in. However, adding a new user and trying to log in with it resulted in getting the forceflag having 1 as value which is never to turn 0. And for some reason the load time is also very long after resetting the password.

Do we really need it?? As mentioned earlier, can't we just check if the last reset timestamp is 0-0-0000 00:00:00 from the User table?

But now I noticed that even the last reset timestamp is not updated after changing the password now.

I did not have any error reporting switched on that I know of. How do I do this? And where do I find the logs?

So I tried to uninstall and reinstall it again:

Installing plugin was successful.

Plugin successfully enabled

And it works! And I made the settings one by one to see if any one would break it, but none do this time. So I have no clue as to why it didn't work installing the first time. Hopefully no-one else has to install it twice.

I have one more request. Can you please add another field to the "Generator" for the number of characters? Because even though the test requires 6 the generator might spit out 8.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #8 by chrisc
Hmm. It is good that you have resolved the problem but not so good that it required installing twice.

I am aware that the Joomla installer has occasionally had problems, but I have not seen them recently. I wonder whether it is the version you are using, since Joomla 3.3.2 is a little old and there is certainly a recommendation that you should think about upgrading to a supported version, preferably 3.4.5 currently and probably 3.5.x in December/January 2016. Easier said than done I know.

Aside: One common case where I have seen such problems is when one is editing/viewing a specific file using an editor when the update is installed. What I suspect is happening in this situation is that the editor takes a copy of the file, which is then 'replaced' by the installer, but when the editor is exited the file gets overridden by the 'old' version. Probably not the case here, but one that has tripped me up as a developer once or twice! :)

I think you answered your own question re the using of the users table last reset timestamp field. I had looked at it, but like yourself found it difficult to know when and under what conditions it was set/updated. Instead I went down the route of using my own setting, where at least I know exactly when and under what conditions it is set.

RE your question about error reporting I would refer you to this FAQ on our site under the Controlling Site Error Reporting . It may prove useful to you sometime. I would suggest that you leave the Joomla reporting set to null on your live site, but it is often worth setting it to something like 'Maximum' on test sites. If nothing else it serves to give an indication of how efficient the coding is upon extensions etc.

The number of characters the generator creates is already handled by a parameter under the passwords tag. Duplicating it seems a little overkill. In all my tests, and there have been many, I have never encountered a situation where the generator returns the wrong number of characters. If I every find a situation where such a problem occurs I may revise this decision.

I have a little housekeeping to complete, but will release the update officially, probably tomorrow or Monday after the 'Black Friday' email storm has subsided.

PS You probably do not need to un-install and then reinstall each time, since the code is written to update any table/files on the update. We would specifically say is an update 'broke' anything. Sometimes it may be unavoidable, but usually/often it would be a sign of insufficient 'care' or knowledge of/by the developer.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries