How can I change the way the fields are displayed

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #1 by dro99
I would like to know if it is possible to only show two or three fields on the password change screen so that it is very simple and can be set up to only give the user change access to only what is appropriate for that site.

I would like to be able to select if I display or don't display the users name and whether that name is read-only or can be modified.

I would then like to display the two password fields that require the new password to be entered and confirmed for normal entry.

I would like to be able to select if I display or don't display the users email and confirmation email field and if those fields are read-only or can be modified.

Not to be greedy but if a user defineable field could be made available at the top of the displayed fields, to be shown on the change screen. This would be very useful if the webmaster chooses to only show the two password fields so that a short message explaining what to do is given to the user.

This would make a very simple password change screen that would give the user the ability to see and change only what they should be able to. My system does not use email addresses for anything so I do not want to confuse people when they see that there is a bogus address in that field. I do not want them to try to populate it with their real email address.

I have not seen anything to do this in the setup area and hoping there might be an easy way to accomplish this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #2 by chrisc
There is nothing in the standard Password Control setup (or in standard Joomla that I am aware of) to do what you are requiring. The reason is that Password Control builds upon the standard Joomla supplied fields. The adding of the 'password generator' button is done through some Javascript.

We covered hiding some of the 'basic' Joomla fields in a post a few years ago. Hiding Profile Edit Basic Parameter This unfortunately doesn't really cover what you are requiring.

It would be possible to do what you require with the creation of a 'new' replacement form or (and this may well be easier) by changing the plugin code to add/remove the additional fields you require. Since these 'extra' fields are not required to be saved when the password is changed i.e. they are informational only, this should not be too complex. The display of the 'unrequired fields' should just be a case of changing the field attributes.

I haven't specifically looked at the code in preparing this reply, but template issues aside, it is possibly not too much work. I am not sure whether there would be much demand for such a change to make it worthwhile as an added 'feature' but am open to the possibility.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control

9 years 8 months ago #3 by dro99
I am very interested in having this functionality

How would I proceed with this request?

Please send me a personal message with a cost guesstimate and I will run it through my organization and see what I can get to help/cover the cost. I believe that others would definitely benefit from this functionality.

9 years 8 months ago #4 by chrisc
I will discusss this with the main developer and email you with our response. This will probably be early next week, all being well.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control

9 years 7 months ago #5 by chrisc
I am led to understand that an email has been sent to your email address outlining options.

Regards

9 years 7 months ago #6 by dro99
Haven't received anything yet.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries