Incompatibility with MySQL 5.7 (issue, not a bug)

7 years 1 month ago - 6 years 10 months ago #1 by Ingmar
IT doesn't seem to be compatible with MySQL 5.7 as it queries the information schema which for most hostings is disallowed unless show_compatibility56 flag is on. Unfortunately I (and probably most other people making use of hosted solutions) cannot set that flag to on.

The setting itself is also useless as in future versions, it will be eliminated.

If you test this on a system with 5.7, IT tracker doesn't complete the install, but also cannot be uninstalled. So unless you know what you're doing, it breakes joomla installations with a database based on MySQL 5.7.

Is there a solution in the making for this problem?

Edit May 02: Anything?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 10 months ago #2 by Ingmar
Am I the only one experiencing this, or did I make a mistake somewhere?
The following user(s) said Thank You: geoffc

6 years 10 months ago #3 by geoffc
Sorry this slipped under the radar.

From the MySQL docs:

The INFORMATION_SCHEMA has tables that contain system and status variable information (see Section 23.10, “The INFORMATION_SCHEMA GLOBAL_VARIABLES and SESSION_VARIABLES Tables”, and Section 23.9, “The INFORMATION_SCHEMA GLOBAL_STATUS and SESSION_STATUS Tables”). The Performance Schema also contains system and status variable tables (see Section 24.11.13, “Performance Schema System Variable Tables”, and Section 24.11.14, “Performance Schema Status Variable Tables”). The Performance Schema tables are intended to replace the INFORMATION_SCHEMA tables, which are deprecated as of MySQL 5.7.6 and will be removed in a future MySQL release.

This would explain why you required the show_compatibility56 flag.

We require access to the underlying tables so that we can determine whether to install procedures, triggers etc into the database for improved performance. [It is faster and more efficient to perform some tasks in the database itself rather than fetch it back to the server and then store it back in the datbase.]

What is required is some additional checks in the component installer (and possibly in some of the other running code as well) to check which database version we are running upon and then decide which tables we are going to query to get the information we require. I will look to get this added in the next major release (1.7). [When we released the last version this was not known hence the issue you are seeing. It also impacts at least one of our other components (JAudit) as well.]

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Regards
Geoff

6 years 10 months ago #4 by Ingmar
Thx for the reply Geoff,

yes, I know why it happens, that's why I wrote issue, not bug, ;-). However, I could not solve it myself, as I am a Joomla user, not a programmer.

Is there a time schedule for the next major version?

6 years 9 months ago #5 by geoffc
Not known currently sorry. External factors are preventing us from working on updates currently.

Regards
Geoff

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries