customizing issue tracker

8 years 1 month ago #1 by ashley
good day, please help me customize issue tracker in this way, I'm using it for a Group of 5 companies so when creating a new issue and filling out the issue details I want someone to be able to select the name of the company the issue is coming from and also the town they are in and maybe their department, so how do I change the 'Project Id' field to say 'Company' and the 'Issue Type' field to say Location and then maybe have another field which they can select the department ...! I've tried using the configuration guide but i couldnt......p.s i want these changes both in the back end and front end!Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 month ago #2 by chrisc
Replied by chrisc on topic customizing issue tracker
Changing the 'Project id' to say 'company' etc is very easy. since all you need to do is create a language override for the 'string. So you first need to find the 'string' you want to change.

So for example the 'Project ID' string is 'COM_ISSUETRACKER_PROJECT_ID' so you go into the Joomla language overrides (under Admin Manage tab) and create your replacement string. You can find out the specific strings' by looking at the php file in which they are used under views/view name/tmpl, or by looking at the language files directly..

Bear in mind that you will probably need to create two overrides, one for the front end of the site and one for the back end strings.

To introduce a new field (i.e Department) then you need to create a custom field group and a custom field assigned to the custom field group. Then assign the custom field group to the specific 'Project' or in your revised case 'Company'. See the 'Project Details' example in the base install as a guide. [You could just add your new 'Department field'. to the Project Details CF Group to get you going quickly.

If you do not like where the custom field displays in the 'form' then the best way to fix that is to create a template override and modify the output forms to suit your purpose.

The benefit of using language overrides and template overrides is that any changes you make are preserved over a component update.

The customisation gude goes into some more detail particularly about custom fields. Language overrides are standard Joomla functionality.

Hope that helps.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashley

8 years 1 month ago #3 by ashley
Replied by ashley on topic customizing issue tracker
Thanks for that.
I also have two more questions 1. how do I reduce the size of the text boxes(Issue Summary, Issue Description, Progress and Resolution Summary) to make them a bit smaller.
2. Also the 'Overdue Issues Report' seems not to be working, i dont know if I'm missing anything but isn't when the set 'Target date' passes the issue is now supposed to be an overdue issue?

8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #4 by chrisc
Replied by chrisc on topic customizing issue tracker
There are two possible ways to adjust the size of the text boxes. The first would be to edit the form definitions themselves. Look at the components/com_issuetracker/models/forms/itissues.xml file. The other would be to adjust the CSS (or create it) for the id item of the text box to be modified.

The overdue report is based upon the identification date and the current date (when the report is generated).
The actual code for the date calculation is:
TIMESTAMPDIFF(DAY,identified_date,CURDATE()) AS overdue

This is defined in the cron helper method issueoverdue.

The target date is not used in the calculation, mainly since it is often not populated at all. One could of course add an extra check to see if it is populated and if so use that, but that is not the current situation.

Added:
If you did want to change the check to use target_date in the overdue calculations then you could change line 656 in the file admin/components/com_issuetracker/helpers/cron.php from:
$query .= "  , TIMESTAMPDIFF(DAY,identified_date,CURDATE()) AS overdue ";
to
$query .= "  , CASE 
when IFNULL(target_resolution_date,0) THEN TIMESTAMPDIFF(DAY,target_resolution_date,CURDATE())
else TIMESTAMPDIFF(DAY,identified_date,CURDATE()) 
end AS overdue ";

Line breaks are for easier reading. The above (which is quickly put together) effectively checks if there is a value in the target_resolution_date field and if so uses it, otherwise it uses the identification date. This is of course a change from the documented behaviour. Not specifically tested this except as a small syntax check, but it should do what you required.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control

8 years 4 weeks ago #5 by ashley
Replied by ashley on topic customizing issue tracker
Thank you for your response
1. I edited "components/com_issuetracker/models/forms/itissues.xml" for example the issue summary text box to this

<field name="issue_summary" type="textarea"
label="COM_ISSUETRACKER_FIELD_ISSUE_SUMMARY_LABEL"
description="COM_ISSUETRACKER_FIELD_ISSUE_SUMMARY_DESC"
size="1" rows="1" cols="1"
class="inputbox textarea-span"
required="true" />
but still got no change whatsoever, perhaps you can help by giving me the location of the css file which I can change values to edit the sizes of these textboxes?

2. You also said "The overdue report is based upon the identification date and the current date". Can you perhaps explain a bit, like let's say i identified an issue today, after how long will it be be classified as an overdue issue?
sorry to be a bother!

8 years 4 weeks ago #6 by geoffc
Replied by geoffc on topic customizing issue tracker
1. Since editing the form xml file didn't work I suspect that you must have a WYSIWYG editor on the fields. If it was not a WYSIWYG editor then the form change should have worked.

By WYSIWYG I mean some editor such as JCE etc.

The way to find the field ids is to look at the web page generated source. So the description field will look something like:
<textarea name="jform[issue_description]" id="jform_issue_description" cols="50" rows="10" style="width:100%;height:500px;">

The above also shows the size that the field is using.

You can add CSS in two possible places. The first is in the issuetracker.css file located in the media/com_issuetracker/css/issuetracker.css file. The second would be in your site template CSS override file. Changes to the first would be overridden on an update, so take a copy of your changes if you use that file..

The summary field id is: id="jform_issue_summary", the progress field would be: id="jform_progress" and the resolution field: id="jform_resolution_summary".

The editor itself may have some settings to define the size of the 'text' fields, which is dependent upon the specific editor in use. Each editor has its own set of settings so I cannot be very specific as to which settings to check, sorry,

2. The overdue report is possibly misnamed as it only reports the days since issue was opened, if it is not closed.. I really should add some additional checks in here, which was the always the original intention. The issue priority has some fields to permit one to specify response times, which are currently not acted upon, but I think that these should be used in the 'overdue' report. The 'resolution time (specified in hours) should really be selected and used to filter out issues that have not been 'closed' in the specified period. I will add the change to the next 1.7.0 release once i have worked out the specific changes required.. (There should also be some other factor involved which may be dependent upon client possibly, might need to think more on this.)

Regards
Geoff

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries