Favourite issues/pools

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #1 by Vasago
Hello,
I have been asking this since version 1.2.x will there be som sort of favourite option or getting voices by users to make some issue ore priority or list upper in list based on this vioces? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 9 months ago #2 by geoffc
Replied by geoffc on topic Re: Favourite issues/pools
I am aware of your interest in this type of feature, but to be honest no one else has expressed any such requirement.

The component is basically used to track problems, and as such the support organisation is the one to control 'priorities' etc, based upon their knowledge of how a specific problem impacts others. The issue raiser does already have the means of saying how 'urgent' they consider their specific problem when they raise the issue, which is usually 'very urgent' to them, but not necessarily 'urgent' to the support organisation, who of course have a range of other concerns to consider.

The option for users to 'express' their 'favourite' or urgency' (or some form of 'vote') in order to raise the importance of a specific problem would have to be carefully considered. This type of option is ideal for a 'forum' type application but whether suitable for an issue tracker is not so clear cut.

Such an option could only ever be 'indicative' of an 'issue' priority, as the 'organisation' assigned priority has to take preference. It could possibly be seen how some kind of visible 'score' could be added to an issue as an indication of how important users consider an issue to be.

There are no current plans to implement such a feature, but we are open to a well presented suggestion which would include details of how you would expect such a feature to work. Unless implemented carefully such a feature could be open to abuse. i.e. The same user continually 'voting' on a issue to artificially raise its priority.

Edited by geoffc - 21.06.2013 10:18

Regards
Geoff

10 years 9 months ago #3 by Vasago
Replied by Vasago on topic Re: Favourite issues/pools
OK I understan the reasons you hve mentioned ... I first saw this in this site: www.hoduma.com/bugs where it is quite well done but I do not know how it would be implemented here - two different systems.

I also understand that priority system but somthing like this would be good when I create category like "requests" and there would be possible to vote or something.

Also I am thinking about the system of reports. When it happens like there are many bugs in system like 2 000 bugs - is there a system to sort bugs according to last comment or something to "renew" older issues?

Also can you make it compatible with extensions.joomla.org/extensions/e-comme...a-point-systems/5949 this extension so it can deliver points to motivate users to report bugs?

Thank you.

10 years 9 months ago #4 by geoffc
Replied by geoffc on topic Re: Favourite issues/pools
I have had a look at the points you mentions.

1. From looking at the link www.hoduma.com/bugs re the votes/voices this is not part of Hoduma as far as I can see. It looks very much like a voting system (I suspect jVoteSystem) which is a component for creating polls allowing people to vote/express opinions. There is no integration with the helpdesk/bug tracking that I can determine. I suspect that this is something that people use to 'influence' design criteria for improvements to Hoduma.

[A specific bug tracker would have such a feature, which has a number of similarities with an issue tracker component. We have looked at the idea of implementing a separate bug tracker, which would leverage some of the work already in the issue tracker component, but have not undertaken any specific coding.]

Implementing votes for specific issues is not difficult per se, and the main decision is just how it would be 'usefully' used. If you could answer that specific question then if may be worthy of more investigation.

[The whole area of issue tracker/helpdesk/bug tracker/forum/xxx is something where there is a lot of overlap with functionality. In our experience there is no single 'one' solution that suits everyone. In general most sites also operate a forum where users report problems and questions and many have a 'vote/likes' feature. We ourselves tend to also use this information as part of the process of deciding upon further design/changes using the topics raised. As illustrated by this specific post.]

2. Reports are something that we have not had as much time to work upon as we would wish. I agree that this is an area for further work, and it will, given time will happen, just not sure when. In the interim there are a number of recent changes to the list displays to allow sorting on column headers and new filters to shorten the list. [The back end summary reports partially address this area as well.]

3. Alpha Points integration doesn't seem too difficult to implement. They appear to have an API that could be used. We are not adverse to implementing this, just unsure how many other users would make use of such a feature.

As with all these things there has to be a given priority/ranking to requested improvements/enhancements. There is only so much that one can work on at any given time, and priority is given to the improvements that:
  1. Provide the most benefit to the majority of users
  2. Are quick and easy to implements without complicating the code. [The more complex the change, the more possibility of crating problems elsewhere!]
  3. Are influenced by donations or cost benefit/concerns

Re: When it happens like there are many bugs in system like 2 000 bugs - is there a system to sort bugs according to last comment or something to "renew" older issues?

I think that if a system has 2000 bugs that it is either a very large system or something that I would not want to use! :-) Seriously though, it is possible to sort the issue list displays so that most recently worked upon issues are shown at the top (or bottom) of the lists. This is achieved by sorting upon the issue 'modified date'. This field is automatically updated whenever a change occurs upon an issue, whether it be by a person adding more information or a support person 'working' an issue. This is one of the 'optionally displayed' audit fields. This is described in the documentation.

Edited by geoffc - 24.06.2013 10:01

Regards
Geoff

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries